From Lost Fables Wiki
Humans in this setting are industrious, adventurous, short lived and bold. They come in three broad varieties. The Gravicans, The Armusians, and The Carribards. The Gravicus Empire takes up a slight majority of human-held territories and is a military powerhouse. The Armusian States hold the second most, but are immensely wealthy and politically powerful. The Carribard Confederacy is an island nation, made wealthy through trade and piracy.
- 1 History
- 2 Subraces and Nations
- 2.1 The Gildaran Alliance
- 2.2 Entheric and the Isles
- 2.3 Journey of the Water Lily: The Lotus State
Though the humans, for almost a millenia were embroiled in bitter wars while the Gravicus empire expanded, in the past couple of centuries it has been significantly more peaceful. The three major empires settled into an uneasy peace, none were willing to act against either of the others, and so things slowly got to a sense of normalcy. The Gravicans defended from the Rehks, the Carribards defended the coasts and human trade, and the Armusians shmoozed their way along, trading goods between the two, and, with their upkeep of the church, being the glue that kept humanity together. Now that there's a new continent, however, things are different. Once ships or their passengers pass the halfway mark to Anoma, actions against fellow empires don't have diplomatic repercussions against the actor, as they are considered to be acting of their own authority with only minimal oversight from the mother country. It has yet to be seen whether or not this policy will actually be held true, as no major diplomatic incidents have occurred...
"In long eras past, there were only Two. Brothers of Chaos and Order, Anomalous and Sequestus the young. All about them was nothing and they existed in relative peace. But the ghost of Mankind sat deep inside them, and though it was not yet fully formed, it still had strength which built over the eons as the brothers sat parallel in their own sides of nothing. This ghost grew and formed until finally, the strongest of mankind’s primal urges became strong enough to imprint upon the brothers. The urge for something more, that essential hunger which drives Mankind left a tiny imprint on Chaos. Suddenly seeing the nothing around him as it had been for eons, Anomalous suddenly felt ill at ease and realized that he ought to make something else. For eleven days he worked to create an island among the long empty order, in which chaos would be supreme.
When Anomalous created his island, he found that he wanted more chaos. The leering face of nothing always peered back at him, and so he created more and more chaos until finally, it was all he could see. Sequestus saw the ghastly immeasurable horror of chaos as far as the eye could see and the mind could sense, and was imprinted upon with a piece of the spirit of man at this point as well, the determination to build and set about Ordering the mad creation his brother had wrought.
Tirelessly for eleven days Sequestus worked, creating the world and its many systems, setting the flow of liquids in order and weaving magic into all things. When he met with Anomalous again, it’s said that for eleven days they fought. At the end of the eleventh day, Sequestus left, calling a draw and going to rest while Anomalous looked at his creation, maimed by order’s hand and sought to weave yet more chaos. But that which has been carefully sewn is not so easily undone. After a day, brother Chaos chose to change his direction, instead choosing to permanently mark this world with his own imprint as well. For eleven days, he worked, first creating Mankind who had wrought this all, then creating the other races. Il’ha and Rehks first, to traverse the trees and plains and to make companions for his beloved Mankind. Then, he saw much space below the ground and so filled it with Drachev…"
-Excerpt from the Holy Book of Balance
Subraces and Nations
The following are the most prevalent human subraces present in Anoma. Notably, humans are very adaptable, and seem to have physically changed to suit the place from which they hail, after only a few centuries of being so divided. Perhaps a new human empire that lasts several hundred years could create their own distinct subrace to which their people will morph...
The Gildaran Alliance
The Gravicus Empire
- Gravicans: The Gravicans are tall, muscular, and broad. They're generally between European and Mediterranean in appearance, though they have incorporated several smaller countries with varied appearances. In addition to this, they have a lively market for enslaving just about anyone, so almost any person could be found within the Gravican empire. Gravicans style themselves much in the same way as Romans, utilizing a similar color scheme of whites for most garb, red for those in the military, and purple for those of higher class. They are known for being very survivable.
The Carribard Confederacy
- Carribards: The Carribards are a confederation of island nations with an extremely strong naval tradition of privateering, and a good deal of their heroes had little stints of piracy. They also have some of the fastest and best sailing craft in the old world, practice martial arts and have at least one master aboard every ship. They appear to be anything from Mediterranean to African.
Grand Arch-Princedom of Armusia
- Armusians: The Armusian people are a relatively recent grouping, and thus they're a varied group, but the spirit of the Armusian church has infused them all, and they have rather rapidly gained the traits that those who rigidly adhered to the Armusian belief have long enjoyed. Due to the wide-ranging nature of the states that have joined into the Armusian states, they come in many varieties, with appearances as varied as European, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and African, though they tend towards European.
The Armusians are also the most active group sending people to Anoma to form colonies. They have pledged to support any human colony who swears fealty to them and has a branch of the Brother Church, on top of bankrolling the majority of ships which make the journey across the ocean, and are more than willing to provide free passage to the new world to anyone who wants to attempt to colonize it. Further, they also consider this an excellent opportunity to get rid of undesirables, and so they're very persuasively suggesting that many of these sorts of people find themselves a boat to the new world.
Entheric and the Isles
The Council of Entheric
Deep in the mountains in the tundra that belts the world, nestled in a massive valley, there is a country of pale, tall blonde humans. Nobody is quite certain where this country, named Entheric, is, other than that it is most certainly on the edge of livable territory and on the continent of Gildaran, in an environment nearly as cold as death itself. What is sure is that they use the raised dead to work their fields and power odd, infernal machines that plunge their mines of vast gems and gold. The council that controls them are openly Vampiric, despicable nigh-undead bloodsucking monstrosities of the night, abhorred by almost all species. Through keeping their location a secret and carefully maintaining their neutrality, they have remained under the radar of their neighbors and the Gravicus empire, allowing them to exist mostly in peace. The council believes that their progenitors, the Voudr, originated in the lost continent Anoma, and are looking for someone to confirm their suspicions. Such proof would be worth quite a bit to them, surely.
Living in the mountainous wastes and deep, despicable valleys of Entheric humans still survive and make their way through the world. They come in two different types. Some of them have slumbering ancient blood of the Voudr that founded the council, waiting for the right moment to awaken. The others have become one with the cold, in a far more insidious way than the winter elves of Dahu.
- Nachzehrer: Nachzehrer are humans, usually, with the ancient blood of the Voudr inside of them. They come from many means and many different walks of life. Though usually, they are half-Voudr as this is the most reliable way to stir the ancient blood. In the strict caste system of Entheric they are seen as being commanders, diplomats, highly competent warriors, and other specialist jobs.
Kaltermen: Kaltermen are the most common denizen you'll find in the icy realm of Entheric. They are pale, tall, blonde, and imposing with their icy demeanor. Some stories say the Kaltermen come from a lost Gravican expeditionary force, while others tell of a ruined country from the fragmented political landscape that is now modern Armusia. What is known about them is that they are an industrious powerhouse that drives the engine of Entheric.
The Isles of Viggo
- Giantbloods: The Giantbloods are a group of humans who live on a set of islands to the Southwest of the mainland of the old world. They are not unified, and in fact, would likely take offense to the suggestion that they are such, but the similarities in their religion and culture along with their proximity to one another has led them to be grouped into one. They are the tallest and physically strongest of the humans, but they are prone to mad, frothing rages, something which pushes them forward in war almost as much as it holds them back.
Journey of the Water Lily: The Lotus State
The Lotus State
To the far eastern reaches of the realm, secluded from the conflicts of Gravicus and Armus, lies a strange and storied world in itself. The Lotus State, with centuries of varied cultural development in the isolation of eastern Dahu, presents a vastly unique experience for the occasional traveler. A loosely unified amalgamation of several nations, from the sprawling farmlands of Tian Di Guo, to the mist-shrouded isles of Akagi, the empire nests an intricate, continuous game of diplomatic chess that has continued for centuries. With the emergence of Anoma as a focal point of interest, the pieces of long-dormant powers have begun to move once more. The only question that remains is whether or not the rest of Gaia is ready for the awakening.
System of Alliance
The ‘Lotus State’ refers to the formal alliance between several eastern nations in Gaia, joining together to form a larger composite entity. The nations within the Lotus State retain jurisdiction over their respective territories and have their own sovereign governments. One person is selected to be the ‘Messenger of the Lotus Blossom’, meaning that they serve as the leader and representative of all the eastern interests to the best of their ability, should foreign powers ever come into play. The original ‘Messenger of the Lotus Blossom’ was Duong Hyunh from the region of Sinhwa. All of her successors are given access to her estate in her home country, with all of her original manuscripts and references preserved in pristine condition.
Alongside the listed major powers are many more smaller minor powers, which hold significant but inequivalent sway within the Lotus State as a whole. The four listed above carry the most weight with decision-making for the empire.